Greg Stolze: Forums

Discuss Greg Stolze's recent works
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:22 am 

like i'm sure most all gamers do, i often see a movie or read a book or play a video game and think "wow! this would be a kickass setting for a pen and paper game!". however, it seems like many of my favorite games and systems feel quite strongly "tied" to their settings. the white wolf games in particular feel that way. i'd never really want to try using nwod or exalted rules for another world.
the UA rules on the other hand seem like they could be fairly easily adapted to other settings... though insanity and the magick rules would probably have to be messed with.

i'm just wondering if Greg could tell us whether he thinks the REIGN rules could be readily adapted to other worlds and settings? i mean, the REIGN setting sounds cool from what i've seen so far... but ya know... i keep having this fantasy of running games in my favorite "setting of the moment".

btw, if anyone cares, the setting i'm currently having fantasies about running a game in is the world of Bas-Lag from China Mieville's novels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:53 am 

The old WoD collection is so immense and since I have all the books I disagree that the Storyteller systems is heavily tied to the setting. I have used the system to run all manner of other settings. The system is ideal for running anything non-supernatural, simply remove the powers. If you want a bit of supernatural then simply plug a few powers back in.
Since I also have Exalted, Trinity Univerese and Street Fighter it is easy to too take rules from those settings and add to a new setting. Most importantly since White Wolf themselves have used the Storyteller system for several very different settings that proves the system can be used :wink:

I am playtesting REIGN at the moment, but since I have signed a non-disclosure agreement I cannot discuss details about REIGN. From Greg's writeup "So I turned the ORE to a fantasy setting I’d been contemplating for years" shows that the ORE system can be adapted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

What I consider the "neato-est" bit of REIGN is the way you can give stats to organizations that were previously the GM's sole provenance. So, where in a V:tR game your characters would plot and scheme to take those uppity Toreadors down a peg, it would be up to the GM to decide if you succeeded. With this you* could stat up the Toreador clan and the relative strength of its rivals and do a blow by blow fight that took months (with the PCs' actions skewing the results every month) the same way you do a blow by blow physical fight that takes seconds.

When REIGN comes out, one of the first things I'm planning to release is stats for all the UA power blocs -- Mak Attax, TNI, the Sleepers, the Sect of the Naked Goddess, the GLS and the Order of St. Cecil -- so that people can crown their UA games with the REIGN rules.

-G.

*You could do this, but if I did it'd have to be a freebie work of fan love, since I'd be in all kinds of trouble if I tried to make bank off their IP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:43 am 

Batjutsu wrote:
The old WoD collection is so immense and since I have all the books I disagree that the Storyteller systems is heavily tied to the setting. I have used the system to run all manner of other settings. The system is ideal for running anything non-supernatural, simply remove the powers. If you want a bit of supernatural then simply plug a few powers back in.

Right, well it's the powers that I'm referring to, I guess. The basic setting is indeed very adaptable. But as someone contemplating running a game set in a world for which no rpg has actually been developped, its the powers that are an issue. Trying to design my own WoD or Exalted powers has always seemed to me to be a somewhat daunting task. I'm totally down with fudging something up for GMC use, but to come up with fresh, balanced, usable PC powers and such... well that's tough. I guess what I'm really hoping to find is a set of mechanics that hopefully makes it (relatively) easy to set up custom "kewl powerz" for pcs. UA seems like it would pretty easy to do that with... and I'm hoping REIGN will be as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:28 am 

The big problem with special powers is that by their very nature they require special rules to help capture the style and essence of what is going to be using the special powers.
IMHO REIGN is not a universal system in the sense of say GURPS, but I would say that REIGN is quite flexible. I would add that the flexibilty is a strong part of the design concept, as is sparking the readers mind with ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:51 am 

Any new info on when its out? huh, huh? Are we there yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:40 am 
Site Admin

It's out when it's out... the hassle of this Indie business is that there's no editor standing over you cracking the whip. Though, to be fair, that's also a feature.

I've got three groups playtesting and I'm getting feedback from them. I'm also going to start my own playtest to work in some changes. I did a bunch of editing and composing earlier this year. Now I've set it aside to let it cool down while I did some "predictable paycheck" work. I'm going to pick it up again soon, streamline some stuff, fold in the lessons of playtest, and then it's off to layout. That's the plan, anyhow.

-G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:15 pm 

GregStolze wrote:
What I consider the "neato-est" bit of REIGN is the way you can give stats to organizations that were previously the GM's sole provenance. So, where in a V:tR game your characters would plot and scheme to take those uppity Toreadors down a peg, it would be up to the GM to decide if you succeeded. With this you* could stat up the Toreador clan and the relative strength of its rivals and do a blow by blow fight that took months (with the PCs' actions skewing the results every month) the same way you do a blow by blow physical fight that takes seconds.

Oh. That'll be interesting to see how it works, given the sheer number of such systems that are out or coming out, like BIRTHRIGHT, Exalted's MANDATE OF HEAVEN or Weapons of the Gods' GREAT GAME.